how to make delicious mutton biryani
A delicious mutton biryani that will astound your guests in a dinner party or any other celebration. The marinated mutton is cooked in pressure cooker with spices and then layered with rice and saffron mixed milk and give a ‘dum’(slow cooked in a simmer in sealed pot) for 40 minutes in a low flame in a hard bottomed pan; this is how to make delicious mutton biryani.
Ingredients of Mutton Biryani
For the rice:
- 500 gms long grain rice
- 2 Bay leaves
- Black cardamom-2
- 2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1/4 Jaiphal
- 1 Javitri
- 4 Black peppercorn
- 4 Green cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon sticks
- 4 Cloves
- 3 tsp Salt
- 300gm mutton (4 pieces)
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp raw papaya paste
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
Other ingredients for layering the biryani:
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup milk (warm)
- Saffron strands
- Kewra water(optional)
- Rose water
How to Make Mutton Biryani
Marinating the mutton:
1.for marinating add the curd, ginger-garlic paste, raw papaya paste, chilli powder, salt, lemon juice, cumin and coriander powder.
- Allow the mutton to marinate for at least 3 hours.
Making fried onions:
- Slice 4 onions and separate the slices.
- In a pan or kadai heat oil and fry the onion slices till becomes dark brown in color and keep aside.
Preparation of mutton:
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan or in a pressure cooker.
- Add onions and, stirring continuously, till onions are light golden brown then Add ginger paste and garlic paste and mix well & add marinated mutton and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin and red chilli powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, salt, garam masala powder and add a cup of water.
- Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat. The oil would be separated from the gravy.
Preparing the rice:
- Soak the long grain rice for 20 minutes in water. Drain all the water.
- Make a potli (or small piece of cloth take javitri, jaiphal, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, , black peppercorn, cuminseeds, and tie a knot)
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil, add rice, bay leaf, salt and potli, cover and cook till rice is done 1/3rd (or in between check the rice by pressing it with the help of two fingers) .
- Drain the water & remove the whole masala potli.
Preparing the saffron-milk:
1.Take 1/4th cup warm milk in a cup and add saffron strands in the milk and wait for 10 minutes.
2.Then Add rose and kewra water in the milk and Keep aside.
Layering the biryani:
1.Take a large heavy bottom pan with lid.
3.Add a layer of cooked rice, then cooked meat pieces, add fried onion slices.
4.Again add a layer of rice, then meat and add mint leaves, fried onions saffron milk and ghee.
6.Put the lid on. Keep the heat to low and cook the Biryani for 40 minutes.
- your pan should be heavy-bottomed otherwise you can place a flat tawa/griddle then keep the pan on that tawa/griddle.
8.After 40 minutes switch off the heat and let the biryani stand for another 10 minutes to set.
9.Serve with raita.