Prawns with Malabar spinach/pui shak diye chingrir ghonto
Pui shak/ Malabar spinach alone can’t go well; it requires other vegetables to taste good and best combination is pumpkin and ridge gourd. So here also I have taken varieties of vegetables including ridge gourd and pumpkin. Marinated prawns are fried and then simmered in gravy made with Malabar spinach and ginger and added with other mixed vegetables finished in a warm, spicy, cumin flavored sauce and this is How to make pui shak diye chingri/Prawns with Malabar spinach.
|Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay|
|Course: Side dish|
|Level of cooking: Moderate|
|Preparation time: 10 minutes|
|Cooking time: 40 minutes|
|Total time: 50 minutes|
|Arbi / Taro – 1big size|
|Brinjal-2 small or 1 medium|
|Pui shak/Malabar spinach-200gm|
|Prawns (medium) – 10-12 (washed and peeled the scale)|
|Mustard oil-3 tsp|
|Onions – 1 large (cut into slices)|
|ginger (grated) – 1 tsp|
|Green chilies – 3|
|Panch phoron-1/2 t spoon|
|Turmeric powder – 1/2 tbsp|
|Red chilli powder – 1/2 tbsp|
|Roasted cumin powder – 1 tbsp|
|Salt to taste|
How to make pui shak diye chingri
- Clean and wash the prawns, rub with turmeric powder and salt and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash and peel off the skin of taro/kochu, ridge gourd (jhinge), and pointed gourd (potol), and cut it into small cube size with brinjal, pumpkin and the stem of pui shak.
- Take out the leaves of pui shak and keep it separately
- Take a wok or pan, heat mustard oil and fry the marinated prawns for 5 minutes or till its color turns to light pink/brown and keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan throw some panch phoron and red chilies for tempering.
- As it splutter and sizzle add all the vegetables including the stem of the Malabar spinach but not the leaves of it, and stir it for 2 minutes then add grated ginger.
- Add chopped green chillies, turmeric, cumin and red chili powder; cook for 5 minutes then add water, salt and cover the lid to boil the vegetables for 10-12 minutes in medium flame, in between add the pui leaves after 5-6 minutes of cooking.
- Uncover the and check the vegetables are boiled or not and also see the consistency of the gravy; it should not be watery.
- Now add the fried prawns and cook for another 3 minutes in simmer.
- Turn off the flame.
- Transfer it to serving plate, garnish it and serve hot with rice.