Mashed elephant foot yam/how to make simple healthy and tasty ol makha
Ol means elephant foot yam, in Bengali mashed means Makha, so it is mashed elephant foot yam; which is very tasty, easy to prepare and healthy as yam is rich in anti-oxidant, fiber, potassium, magnesium and many more. Boil the yam, mix and smash with oil, onion, chili, lemon and salt sometimes add mustard sauce; this is how to make simple healthy and tasty ol makha/mashed elephant foot yam.
|Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay|
|Course: Side dish|
|Level of cooking: Easy|
|Preparation time:10 minutes|
|Cooking time: 15 minutes|
|Total time: 25 minutes|
- Yam,(cut into cubed shape)-500 gms.
- Mustard oil-2 tbsp
- Panch phoron-1/2 t spoon (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeere (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
- Red chilies-2
- Chopped garlic -1 tsp
- Onion (chopped)-1
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- Curry leaves-8-10
How to make simple healthy and tasty ol makha
- Boil the yam in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with the red chilies and panch phoron.
- As they splutter and sizzle add curry leaves, onion and garlic, sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and mix it well for 2 minutes.
- Now open the lid of the boiled yam and put the boiled yams in the pan, then mix it well and allow it to cool down.
- Now with clean hand smash the yam and mix it (and this process is called makha) well.
- Serve it with steam hot rice accompanying with dal.