how to make simplest postor bora/poppy seed fritters
Bengali recipe list will not complete if it is not included postor bora. I cannot say about others but for me it is the most favorite vegetarian dish (of course original postor bora, not by mixing with flours).I prefer not to mix anything to it to make tastiest, though it’s preparation is little bit tricky; Because you cannot use blender, you have to use sil batta (sil referring to flat stone and batta referring to a cylindrical grinding stone), otherwise the paste will become very loose, then you have to mix flour with it so it will lose the taste also. With the help of sil batta make a tight paste of poppy seeds and fry it; this is how to make simplest postor bora/poppy seed fritters.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 Persons
- Poppy seeds-50gm
- Red/green chili-01
- Mustard oil-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make simplest postor bora/poppy seed fritters
- Take poppy seeds and soak for 10 minutes, drain out extra water if it is there. (Otherwise you can strain it with the help of a strainer)
- With the help of sil batta make a tight paste of poppy seeds with adding salt and chili.
- By the help of your fingers make it a flat round shaped.
- Take a pan or kadai, heat oil and slowly place the soft poppy seeds round shaped paste.
- Fry it till it becomes brown in color, and then fry it to the other side, once it fried in both the sides automatically it will become crispy, no need to add any flour to make it extra crispy by compromising the taste. Of course you can add onions if you like.
- Your postor bora is ready, enjoy it with rice and dal.