Delicious Squash poppy seed curry/alu chow chow posto
Squash poppy seed curry is a very tasty and healthy dish as we are using very little oil. You can use one or two potatoes if you like to make Delicious Squash poppy seed curry/alu chow chow posto. poppy seeds/posto is a very common spice in west Bengal. Almost in all curry we are trying to use posto. Posto obtains from opium poppy. Poppyseeds/posto are very rich in oleic and linoleic acidswhich is a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, helping lower LDL ( bad cholesterol) and increase HDL (good cholesterol) levels in blood. Poppy seeds contain good levels of minerals like copper,iron, potassium, calcium, manganese, magnesium and zinc
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
one squash big size
potato 2 medium size cut in cube(optional,you can omit and can add daler bodi)
50 gms poppy seeds
2 tbsp mustard oil
1/2t spoon tsp panch phoron
2 green chilies
1 cup water
Salt to taste
how to make Squash poppy seed curry/alu chow chow posto
- Soak the poppy seeds in grinder make a paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add panchphoron, add squash and potatoes after crackling sound comes, cook for two minutes.
- Add water ,salt and cover the lid and allow it to cook for 6-7 minutes or until the squash and potatoes become soft(as squash takes little more time to boil ,you can boil it in pressure cooker before adding with the curry)
- Now open lid and add the paste of poppy seeds/posto and mix it well slowly, let it cook for another two to three minutes
- Turn off the burner and serve hot with steam rice.
Conclusion: To enhance the taste you can add ten to twelve piece daler bodi(Sun Dried White Lentil Dumplings),after frying it well.