Tasty Sojner danta diye bata machher jhal/fish drumstick
In summer both sojner danta(drumstick) and bata machh(Labeo bata) are easily and plenty available in West Bengal, so that any time you can make Tasty Sojner danta diye bata machher jhal/fish drumstick. So Sojner danta diye bata machher jhal is a common and popular recipe in WB. And extra we are getting from this recipe is it is much healthy as drumstick and bata fish both are healthier.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Servings: 2 people
For Fish Fry
- 4-6 Bata fish
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as required
For jhal or curry
- one -tsp mustard seeds
- one- tsp panchphoron (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeere (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
- three –four drumstick
- one -medium size potato
- one onion(chopped)
- one red chili
- one tbsp turmeric powder
- one inch ginger(paste)
- Salt to taste
- two tbsp mustard oil
- two green chili
- one cup water
- one tomato (chopped)
- Salt as required
INSTRUCTIONS of makeing Sojner danta diye bata machher jhal/fish drumstick
- Wash and clean the fish and rub with turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for 8-10 minutes
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and fry the fish one by one , and keep aside
- Make a smooth paste of the mustard, ginger and (one)green chili and keep aside
- Heat oil in the same, add panchphoron , once the seeds start crackling add onion, potato and drumstick.
- Now sauté the spices for 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato, green chili, salt, and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Then add the paste with water and once the water starts boiling add the fried fish. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes over medium flame.
- Add salt and turn off the flame.
- Bata macher jhal is ready to now.
- Serve hot with steam rice.