Zucchini, also called courgette, is a variety of squash in the gourd family. Zucchini is very rich in several minerals, and vitamins and have several antioxidants that may provide various health benefits, especially in the fruit’s skin. This is an exotic vegetable found mainly in supermarkets. Earlier it was not known by maximum Indians, but now slowly these types of vegetables are capturing the Indian market and are also available to the local vendors. In India there are two variants are available, one is dark green, and another one is yellow. So you can make amazing zucchini curry by adding potatoes, peas, or Bengal gram, or sometimes with broccoli or cauliflower florets to come out from the boring gourd flavor. If you are comfortable with non-veg then you can use shrimps which make a very exotic flavor. As we Bengalis are very fond of potatoes, we try to add potatoes to every single dish, so this is also not an exception. Here I used boiled potatoes with Bengal gram added with fried zucchini and Onions which are added with tempered cumin seeds This is How to make amazing zucchini curry.
A Kadai or a frying pan
A pressure cooker
A serving plate or bowl
Zucchini-1 (cut in big dice size)
Bengal gram-1/2 cup
Onion- 2(medium size)
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Panch phoron/cumin seeds-1/2 teaspoon for tempering
Ginger- garlic-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
Red chili powder-1/2 spoon
Cinnamon -1 inch
garam masala-1/2 teaspoon
A pinch of hing/asafoetida
Salt to taste
How to make amazing zucchini curry
Wash thoroughly the vegetables.
Peel potatoes and put them in a pressure cooker with overnight soaked Bengal gram.
Add salt, cinnamon, and a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and wait for two whistles.
By that time take a frying pan or a Kadai and put it in the flame.
Add oil to heat then throw some panchphoron/cumin seeds for tempering
As they splutter and sizzle add grated onion, green chili and fry it,
When it becomes light brown add ginger- garlic paste and cook for two minutes.
Add salt,(please check the salt before adding as we have already added potatoes and Bengal gram)turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala, and fry it till the raw smell of the spices is goes off, then add half a cup of water
Now open the pressure cooker after releasing the pressure and add it with the fried onion and spices and cook for another two to three minutes. (cut the boiled potatoes into two to three halves)
Now add the raw zucchinis( it is advisable not to fry the zucchini to maintain its food value)
Put the flame to simmer, cover the lid and allow the zucchini to cook and soak in the gravy.
Once it is boiled properly, open the lid and check the oil starts coming out to the surface of the gravy, throw some coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Transfer it to the serving bowl and
Serve hot with rice or roti
How to make amazing zucchini curry
- pressure cooker
- Serving plate
- A kadai or a fry pan
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 potato
- 1/2 cup Bengal gram
- 2 onion
- 2 green chili
- coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp Panchforon
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 inch cinamon
- 1/4 tbsp hing/asafietoda
- 1/4 tbsp garam masal
- salt to taste
- Wash thoroughly the vegetables.Peelpotatoes and put it in a pressure cooker with overnight soaked Bengal gram
- Add salt, cinnamon and a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and wait for two whistles.
- By the time take a fry pan or a kadai and put it in theflame.
- Add oil to heat then throw some panchphoron/cumin seeds fortempering
- As they splutter and sizzle addgrated onion, green chili and fry it,
- When it becomes light brown addginger- garlic paste and cook for two minutes.
- Add salt,(please check the saltbefore adding as we have already added with potatoes and Bengal gram)turmericpowder, red chili powder and garam masala powder and and fry it till the raw smell of the spices is goes off,then add half a cup of water.
- Now open the pressure cooker afterreleasing the pressure and add it with the fried onion and spices and cook foranother two to three minutes.(cut the potatoes in two to three halves)
- Now add the raw zucchinis( it isadvisable not to fry the zucchini to maintain its food value)
- Put the flame in simmer and allowzucchini to cook and soak the gravy.
- Once it boiled properly and the oilstarts coming out to the surface of the gravy, throw some coriander leaves andswitch off the flame.