how to make delicious oler dalna/yam curry
Elephant foot yum is one of the mines of nutrients .It helps Lowering Cholesterol, prevent heart disease, , cure cancer, slow down ageing, cure diabetes, boost immunity and helps to cure piles. So you can easily make a habit of taking yam regularly. The elephant foot yam pieces are simmered in a thick gravy made with onions, garlic and ginger and sometimes added with potatoes finished in a warm, spicy, cumin, coriander flavored sauce and this is how to make delicious oler dalna/yam curry.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: 3-4 Persons
- Elephant foot Yam (ol) – 500 gm (cut in a small cube)
- 2 onions(medium)– sliced
- Ginger paste- 1 tsp.
- Cumin seeds– 1/2 tsp.
- Asafetida– a pinch
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp.
- Turmeric and red chili powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander and cumin powder- 1/2 tsp.
- Green chili– 2
- Oil- 2 tbsp.
- Salt– as per the taste
- Oil- for frying
how to make oler dalna/yam curry
- Cut the Elephant foot Yam into small cubes and wash them.
- Take a kadhai/pan, heat oil; add cumin seed, Asafetida for tempering. When the seeds start crackling, add the sliced onion.
- When onion becomes transparent, add the yum cubes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger paste and sauté for 2 minutes then add turmeric, coriander, cumin and red chili powder and cook for 2 minutes or till the raw smell of the spices goes off.
- Now, add salt and water and cover the lid to boil the yam.
- Uncover the lid,sprinkle garam masala and check the salt and the yam boils or not.
- Cook until the yam boils and turn off the gas.
- Garnish it and serve the delicious Elephant Yam with roti/ rice.