How to make delecious tangra macher kalia
The marinated tangra fishes are fried and then simmered in a thick gravy made with tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger and sometimes added with potatoes and pointed gourds finished in a warm, spicy, cumin, coriander flavored sauce this is How to make delicious Tangra macher kalia/Bengali small catfish curry with potatoes and pointed gourds.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 Persons
- Fish:10 pieces small catfish(Tangra)
- Potato: 1 medium
- pointed guard:4 pieces
- Tomato: 1 medium
- Green chilies: 2 pieces
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp
- Cumin powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder-1 teaspoon
- panch phoron-1/2 t spoon (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeera (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 4 tbsp mustard oil
How to make Tangra macher kalia
- Rub the washed fish pieces with salt and turmeric powder.
- Now heat mustard oil in a kadai & fry the fishes and keep aside.
- Temper with panchphoron in the remaining oil.
- As they splutter and sizzle add potatoes and pointed gourds and cook for 5 minutes.
- In between in a bowl add turmeric, coriander, red chili and cumin powder with water and salt, make a paste and keep aside.
- Then adds chopped tomatoes, ginger paste and some water (2 spoons) & Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the paste of spices and cook for another 3-4 minutes then add ½ cup of water and cover the lid to boil the veggies.
- Open the lid and slowly place the fishes in the gravy and let it allow to cook for another 3-4 minutes, let the fishes soak the gravy.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with steam rice