Elephant foot yam curry with poppy seeds/ol posto, though it is not that much popular curry, still I had to make it because of boringness of taste of ol bhate, oler dalna etc. This recipe is just like Bengali famous recipe alu posto, but instead of potato we are using yam or ol, which can be taken by diabetic patients also. Dice cut yam/ol is cooked after tempering with panch phron then simmered in thick gravy made with poppy seeds paste and ginger and sometimes added with potatoes finished in a warm, ginger flavored sauce; this is How to make simple ol posto or elephant foot yam curry with poppy seeds.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side dish
Level of cooking: Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
250 gm elephant foot yam/ol
1 onion (small)(cut in ring shape)
4 tsp poppy seeds
panch phoron-1/2 t spoon (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeere (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
Cumin powder -½ teaspoon
½ inch ginger
To taste salt
1 tsp mustard oil
Water (1/2 cup)
1 green chili (silted)
2 dry red chili
How to make simple ol posto
•Take a jar of a blender and grind the soaked posto( poppy seeds) to a fine paste with ginger and one green chili and two red chilies, and keep aside.
Wash and cut the yam/ol into a small cube shape
• Now take a pan or wok,heat 1 tsp mustard oil.(use mustard oil only to get the better taste)
• Add panchphoron for tempering.As they splutter and sizzle add the onions and sauté till they turn golden brown.
• Now we can add the yam/ol(cut in small cube to boil fast) and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
• Add the poppy seeds paste, salt and mix it well and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
•After mixing properly pour water and give a boil in high flame then cover the lid and let it cook for at least 10 minutes to boil the yam
• Take it out from the oven and add ½ tspoon mustard oil.
• Serve hot with rice and dal.