How to make sorse posto diye pomfret macher jhal/Pomfret fish curry with mustard-poppy seed paste
This fish is very nice looking, by seeing this fish you will fall in love. Pomfret is not only nice looking, but it also very tasty and healthy. Its skin is so smooth like butter, so you have to take special care while frying to avoid sticking to the pan. It’s a sea fish available in almost all the coastal areas.
You can prepare the fish in many ways i.e. fish fry, curry, and bake. But I am preparing it with some different way that is in Bengali style, with sorse-posto/mustard-poppy seed jhal, which is very easy and simple way to make.
|Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay|
|Cuisine: Bengali, Indian|
|Level of cooking: Easy|
|Preparation time:20 minutes|
|Cooking time: 35 minutes|
|Total time:55 minutes|
- Pomfret fish -2
- Mustard oil -4 tablespoons (frying+cooking)
- Green Chillies -2(slit)
- Panch phoron-1/2 t spoon (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeere (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
- 2 tablespoon Mustard seeds
- Poppy seeds(posto)-3 table spoon
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) -1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder-1/4th tsp
- Salt to taste
How to make sorse posto diye pomfret macher jhal
- Wash the fish and rub with salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside for about an hour.
- Grind and make a paste with mustard seeds and poppy seeds in a sil-batta or in a grinder and keep it aside.
- Take a kadai or hard bottomed pan add mustard oil and fry the fishes lightly from both sides until cooked through. Keep them aside.
- In the same kadai add more oil if required, add panch-phoron for tempering.
- As they splutter and sizzle add the paste of posto-sorse paste.
- Cook for a minutes with constant stirring on low-medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder and chili poder
- Add water as per the gravy consistency; cook it for 2-3 minutes. Add the fried fishes and allow it to cook for another 3-4 minutes in low flame.
- Switch off the flame, sprinkle a little mustard oil and cover it for 5-6 minutes.
- The combination of mustard oil and mustard paste makes the Pomfret Shorshe-posto a high rise perfectly for hot steamed rice.
- Your pomfret sorse-posto is ready.
- Serve it with steamed piping white rice.