Alu Posto Recipe /Aloo Posto / potato curry with poppy seed
I think I need not say anything about Alu Posto Recipe because it is so a famous recipe for Bengalis, many people from other states also have heard of this recipe. It is one of the simplest recipes I think, which is so much popular.
There are so many variations are there, in alu posto. In a traditional way, we are not using onion, garlic, or Turmeric powder. The color should be white. But in a hotel or restaurant or many other places, you will get spicy alu posto, by adding onion, garlic, turmeric, or other spices.
The consistency of this recipe also varies; some places prepare it as a tight consistency, somewhere loose or runny, and some places make it neither loose nor tight, which is semi-loose but thick gravy.
The types of equipment used for this recipe are
Sil batta/ grinding stone; if you want to make authentic alu posto in the traditional way, then sil Nora/sil batta is essential equipment.
Kadai with lid
The ingredients required for this recipe are
Posto/ poppy seeds: It is very easy to get fresh poppy seeds in supermarkets, except in West Bengal and Bihar, and Orissa, where it is available in almost all grocery shops.
Potato: I used fresh Chandramukhi potatoes, which are perfect for the alu posto recipe
Panchphoron/cumin seeds / kalo jeera (nigella seeds): It is better to use panchphoron, (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kalo jeera (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
Cooking oil: it must be mustard oil, otherwise you won’t get the required flavor
Other than these we need red chili, green chili, and salt
How to make Alu Posto Recipe /Aloo Posto / potato curry with poppy seed
Put posto/ poppy seeds in the sil and sprinkle little water
Grind it and make a smooth paste with the help of sil batta
Cut the potato in half-inch cubic shape and put them in water, so that no grain of dust should be there.
Heat oil in a kadai, and add the panchphoron and red chili for tempering
As they splutter and sizzle add the potatoes and stir them for 2-3 minutes on a high flame
Now add sufficient water (approx 350 ml) to boil the potato, and add salt
Cover the lid, and allow them to cook for 7-8 minutes on low flame
Open the lid after 8 minutes, and add the poppy seed paste and mix them well
Add 2-3 green chili, (they should be half cooked) and cook for another 2 minutes, then turn off the flame
Transfer them to a serving bowl, sprinkle some mustard oil, and serve hot or cold with steamed rice.
My other related posts are
- Bhindi Posto Recipe
- Delectable Alu Jhinge Posto
- How to Make Pabda Posto
- How To Make Ilish Posto
- Posto Diye Amrar Chatni
- Posto Diye Bata Macher Recipe
- How to make rui macher shorshe posto jhal
- How to make postor borar jhaler jhol
- how to make simplest postor bora/poppy seed fritters
- How to make potol posto/pointed gourd poppy seed
- how to make alu potol posto
- How to make Alu dharosh posto
Alu Posto Recipe
- 1 sil bata/Grinding stone
- 1 A kadai or a fry pan
- 2 small bowls
- 1 knife
- 1 Spatula
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 4 potato
- 1/2 tbsp Panchphoron/cumin seeds / kalo jeera (nigellaseeds)
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 red chili
- 2 green chili
- Put posto/ poppy seeds in the sil and sprinkle little water
- Grind it and make a smooth paste with the help of sil batta
- Cut the potato in half inch cubic shape and put them inwater, so that no grain of dust should be there.
- Heat oil in a kadai, and add the panchphoron and red chilifor tempering
- As they splutterr and sizzle add the potatoes and stir themfor 2-3 minutes in high flame
- Now add sufficient water (approx 350 ml) to boil the potato,and add salt
- Cover the lid, and allow them to cook for 7-8 minutes in lowflame
- Open the lid after 8 minutes, and add the poppy seed pasteand mix them well
- Add 2-3 green chili, (they should be half cooked) and cook for another 2 minutes, then turn off the flame
- Transfer them to a serving bowl and sprinkle some mustardoil over it, and serve hot or cold with steamed rice.