Bitter gourd stir fry/How to make karela bhaja
Starting launch with teto, is a traditional Bengali delicacy. Bitter taste before the main course in launch makes your taste bud ready to accept savoring delicious concoction later.Rub the ring shaped karela with turmeric and salt and fry with onion in medium flame;this is How to make karela bhaja/Bitter gourd stir fry
|Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay|
|Level of cooking: Easy|
|Preparation time: 5 minutes|
|Cooking time: 15 minutes|
|Total time: 20 minutes|
- Karela, Bitter Gourd: 250gm
- Onion-1(medium size)
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Dry red chili: 3
- Mustard oil: 4 tbsp
- Panch phoron-1/2 t spoon (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeere (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni)
- Salt: ¼ tsp
- Besan or Bengal gram flour-2tsp (optional)
How to make karela bhaja
- Wash the bitter gourd thoroughly and cut into thin roundels.
- Rub the bitter gourds with turmeric powder and salt; keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan or kadai, heat mustard oil to smoking point.
- For tempering add panch phoron and red chili
- As they splutter and sizzle add sliced onion and stir fry for 2-3 minutes
- Add sliced bitter gourd and fry for 2 mins on high flame, add salt.
- Now sprinkle some Bengal gram flour, reduce the heat, mix it thoroughly with the bitter gourds and cover the lid for 3-4 minutes .( By covering the lid the Bengal gram flour will mix in vapors with the bitter gourds tightly)
- Uncover the lid and stir it continuously to avoid sticking with the pan for 5 minutes.
- Karela bhaja aka Bitter Gourd stir-fry is done. Serve immediately with Steamed rice and dal.