how to make morola macher jhal
The marinated morola fish are fried and then simmered in a gravy made with onions, garlic and ginger and sometimes added with potatoes finished in a warm, spicy, cumin, coriander flavored sauce and this is how to make morola macher jhal/Mola/Morola fish curry.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Servings: 3-4 Persons
- 250gm morola fish / mourala mach
- 1 medium potato –slice horizontally
- Onion-01(medium size)-sliced
- Turmeric powder-2 tsp
- Red chili powder1 tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Ginger paste-1tsp
- panch phoron-1/2 t spoon (It comprises mouri (fennel seeds), methi (fenugreek seeds), kaalo jeera (black cumin seeds), zeera(cumin seeds), and a typically Bengali spice, called radhuni).
- 2 green chilies – slitted
- Mustard oil-1/2 cup
how to make morola macher jhal:
- Clean, wash and then rub the fish with turmeric powder and salt, let them marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadai or a hard-bottomed pan and fry the fish. Once done, transfer the fishes into a bowl.
- In the same oil put the panch phoron for tempering.
- As they splutter and sizzle add the potatoes until they are golden, and then add onion, cook for 3-4 minutes then add ginger paste, turmeric, cumin, and red chili powder.
- Add salt and water, mix well and put cover the lid and cook for another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked completely.
- Now you can add the fried morola fishes.
- Mix well and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add two chopped fresh green chillies and take it out from the oven.
- Serve hot with steam rice.