Boil ol or elephant foot yam, then mix with gram flour and other ingredients and knead to dough and divide into six equal big round bora. Now the boras are fried and then simmered in a thick gravy made with onions, garlic and ginger and finished in a warm, spicy, cumin, coriander flavored sauce and this is How to make spicy oler bora’r dalna/ elephant foot yam kofta curry.
Oler bora’r dalna or elephant foot yam kofta curry is not that much famous and popular, but I had to made today as I had no other vegetables available today in our kitchen due to lock down. And the situation compelled me to try this recipes as all became bored by taking ol bhate(boiled elephant foot yum) and oler dalna, though it takes a lot of time to prepare. More over 2-3 days back I prepared kanchkolar dalna/raw banana kofta curry, which is almost similar in preparation, so I got the confidence to make it.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings: 3-4 Persons
For making bora/ elephant foot yam fritters
Ol/ /jimikand/Elephant foot yam-250 gm
Gram flour/Besan-1/2 cup
Ginger (grated) & garlic-1 tsp
Fennel seeds-1 tsp
Green chili chopped-1 tsp
Chili powder-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
For The Gravy
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Bay leaf-01(for tempering)
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp (for tempering)
Dry mango powder/amchur powder-1 tsp
Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi-1 tsp
Chili powder/lal mirch-1 tsp
Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder-1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder-1/2 tsp
How to make spicy oler bora’r dalna
- Wash ol and make big slices of about 2-3 inches each.
- Add the ol pieces in the pressure cooker and add two cups of water .
- Pressure cook on low heat for 1 whistle.
- Drain the pieces and let it comes to room temperature.
- Mix ol, gram flour, chopped green chili, and one teaspoon of the fresh ginger-garlic, half the red chilli powder and salt to taste, mash it nicely.
- Knead to dough and divide into 7 equal portions.
- Shape them into round boras.
- Take a hard bottomed pan, heat oil and deep fry boras on low-medium heat till golden brown in colour and keep it aside.
a. Heat oil in a pan,add bay leaf and cumin seeds for tempering.
b. As they splutter and sizzle adds the chopped onion and fry it for 5 minutes or till it becomes brown in colour.
c. Add remaining ginger-garlic paste and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
d. Add remaining red chilli, hing powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, curd and cook on low-medium heat, stirring continuously till oil separates the gravy.
e. Add two cups of water, kasuri methi and salt and bring the gravy to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes in low heat.
f. Now add the fried boras and simmer it for five minutes.
g. Turn off the oven.
h. Garnish and serve hot with rice or paratha.