We have seen other recipes of tuna fish earlier like tuna fish fry, tuna fish curry and tuna macher kalia. Now we will see How to make tuna macher tok/Sour tuna fish curry. The marinated Tuna fish chunks are fried and then simmered in a thick gravy made with tamarind and garlic and finished in a warm, spicy, cumin, coriander flavored sauce which makes a delicious sour tuna fish curry or tuna macher tok.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Bengali Level Of Cooking : easy
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 3-4 Persons
- 8 medium size tuna Fish pieces
- Curry leaves-10-12
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Tamarind paste soaked in 1.5 cups water-1 tbsp
- Garlic- 5-6 cloves
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Red chillies-2
- Mustard Oil-1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder (adjust as per your taste) -1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
How to make tuna macher tok/Sour tuna fish curry
- Wash and clean the fish pieces. Rub the fish pieces with turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Take a hard bottomed pan/kadai,heat oil .
- When the oil is hot, deep fry the fish pieces in two to three stages till it turns golden brown on both the sides.
- Take it out and keep it aside.
- Soak the tamarind and remove the pulp.
- In the same oil put mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chili , curry leaves and garlic for tempering. When the seeds stop cracking, add the strained tamarind soaked water, salt as per taste.
- Now add turmeric,red chili and roasted cumin powder
- Cook it for 5 minutes on low medium heat or till the gravy thickens. The consistency of the curry should be thick.
- Add the fried fish pieces and simmer the curry for another 3-4 minutes to absorb the gravy on low medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool in room temperature then transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve it with rice as a side dish.