How to make tuna macher tok
We have seen other recipes of tuna fish earlier like tuna fish fry, tuna fish curry and tuna macher kalia. Now we will see How to make tuna macher tok/Sour tuna fish curry. The marinated Tuna fish chunks are fried and then simmered in a thick gravy made with tamarind and garlic and finished in a warm, spicy, cumin, coriander flavored sauce which makes a delicious sour tuna fish curry or tuna macher tok.
Author: Abhijit Mukhopadhyay
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Bengali Level Of Cooking : easy
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 3-4 Persons
- 8 medium size tuna Fish pieces
- Curry leaves-10-12
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Tamarind paste soaked in 1.5 cups water-1 tbsp
- Garlic- 5-6 cloves
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Red chillies-2
- Mustard Oil-1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder (adjust as per your taste) -1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
How to make tuna macher tok/Sour tuna fish curry
- Wash and clean the fish pieces. Rub the fish pieces with turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Take a hard bottomed pan/kadai,heat oil .
- When the oil is hot, deep fry the fish pieces in two to three stages till it turns golden brown on both the sides.
- Take it out and keep it aside.
- Soak the tamarind and remove the pulp.
- In the same oil put mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chili , curry leaves and garlic for tempering. When the seeds stop cracking, add the strained tamarind soaked water, salt as per taste.
- Now add turmeric,red chili and roasted cumin powder
- Cook it for 5 minutes on low medium heat or till the gravy thickens. The consistency of the curry should be thick.
- Add the fried fish pieces and simmer the curry for another 3-4 minutes to absorb the gravy on low medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool in room temperature then transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Serve it with rice as a side dish.